A consultant pharmacist is a pharmacist who provides expert advice on the use of medications by individuals or within institutions, or on the provision of pharmacy services to institutions.
are now practicing in a wide variety of other settings, including subacute care and assisted living facilities, psychiatric hospitals, hospice programs, and in home and community-based care -- wherever seniors reside.
- A consultant pharmacist is the operations pharmacist who calls the prescriber to recheck the INR for an elderly patient on warfarin prescribed an antibiotic.
- A consultant pharmacist is also the retail pharmacist who recognizes that an order for fluoxetine 40mg daily in an elderly patient may be causing his symptoms of anxiety and insomnia.
- A consultant pharmacist is the hospital pharmacist who adjusts the dose of an IV antibiotic in an elderly diabetic patient with renal failure.
- A consultant pharmacist is also the pharmacy owner who develops compliance packaging for residents in senior retirement apartments to improve adherence and allow aging in place.
- And a consultant pharmacist is the community practice pharmacist who recognizes that the pain in an elderly man’s hip might be due to high-dose statin therapy.
For more information, go to ASCP